Entry Permit

This permit allows the applicant to live and work in Uganda. This permit is always sponsored by an organization or company which must have a mandatory organization code.

Once the application is submitted it will be studied by an Immigration Officer. Please note that during the approval process additional information may be required. The new required information can be submitted electronically through "Manage your applications"

The decision taken on the application will be sent electronically through the email provided by the applicant.

If approved, an approval letter will be sent as an attachment to the email provided. Click on the link to download it.

A travel letter is not permission to enter Uganda therefore, applicants outside Uganda (visa prone countries) will be required to apply for a visa to enable them enter Uganda.

Present a valid travel document of not less than 6 months validity to the Immigration officer at the port of entry.

Student Pass

This permit allows the holder to live and study in Uganda for a specified period of time. It’s always sponsored by an organization or school whose organizational code is mandatory.

This permit does not allow gainful or voluntary employment in Uganda. All East African community nationals studying of seeking to study in Uganda must obtain student passes from designated immigration offices at NO COST. Applicants whose parents are resident in Uganda should provide their parents reference ID. For minors whose parents do not live or work in Uganda a letter of consent from parents to the resident guardian stating relationship should be attached.

Students applying for the first time from outside Uganda, attach a copy of Identity card from the previous school.

Students undertaking post graduate programs should provide certified copies of previous academic qualifications.

For students undertaking research a recommendation from national council for science and technology (UNCST) must be attached.

Dependants Pass

A dependent pass applies to a person who by reason of age, disability of other incapacity is unable to maintain himself or herself and depends upon another person for his or her maintenance and includes a spouse.

This pass is for the relatives (wife, husband, and children) of a Ugandan or a non-Ugandan on valid permit living and/or work in Uganda. This permit is linked to the principal (resident permit holder) and is cancelled upon expiry or cancellation of the principal’s permit. This permit doesn’t permit holder to work in Uganda. 

Detailed information is provided under,

Special Pass

This pass allows a person to enter Uganda temporarily for the purpose of obtaining medical treatment, to fulfill a short contract of a maximum of five months or afford a person reasonable opportunity to apply for and obtain an entry permit or to complete any immigration formalities.

Applicants on short contract are required to attach a copy of the contract, Certified copy of academic qualifications, police clearance and any other relevant documents. (To add these documents, click on ADD NEW DOCUMENTS during the application process).

Certificate of residence

There are three categories under this permit

1) Due to long stay; Applicant must have:

  • • continuously lived legally in Uganda for a minimum of 10 years,
  • • good character and integrity
  • • contributed to the social economic and intellectual development of Uganda

2) Due to Marriage; Applicant must be:

  • • Legally married to a Ugandan citizen.
  • • Marriage should be subsisting for at least 3 years.

3) Former Uganda citizens

  • Applicants of this category are Ugandans who have acquired citizenship of other countries

This permit allows the applicant to live and work in Uganda for the period specified. Period granted ranges from 5 years, 10 years and Life.