Passports & Other Travel Documents
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS (w.e.f: 1st September 2021)
UGANDA PERMANENT MISSION, GENEVA - PASSPORT OFFICE
The Passport Department at the Uganda Permanent Mission in Geneva is open to the public for enquiries and documents submission: Monday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 pm only (except on Public Holidays both in Uganda and Switzerland).
Introducing the E-Passport Online Application portal for Ugandans: www.passports.go.ug
The Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) / Directorate of citizenship and Immigration Control (DCIC) has now fully operationalized the e-Passport with the online application system for e-passports now in place.
To use the new portal, applicants from anywhere in the world visit:
Passport applications are processed in Kampala, in which there is currently a 42 days delay on top of the current processing times. Please see here for further information.
There is no express service for individuals submitting their applications from the Diaspora.
Please note, applicants will be contacted when their passport is ready for collection.
PASSPORT RENEWAL (NOTE: THE PERMANENT MISSION ONLY DEALS WITH PASSPORT RENEWALS. FRESH APPLICANTS MUST APPLY IN UGANDA).
1. Visit http://www.passports.go.ug
2. Complete the application form in full, ensuring you print out the online biodata application form at the 'review and submit' stage of the application.
3. Make payment via the online application form links with payments made via the URA payment portal using your UK Debit/Credit card ensuring your print out your receipts:
The fee for an ordinary passport is: UGX 250, 000/= plus UGX 10,000/= for Diaspora courier fees.
Lost passports additionally incur a UGX 100,000/= fine.
Alternatively, if you are struggling to make payment online, you may wish to ask someone to pay for your application on your behalf. This can be done at most banks in Uganda which accept the PRN codes your application will generate.
4. Print out form titled 'passport application appointment form'.
4. Applicants are required to visit the Mission in person on the above opening days/time with the following (checklist):
a) A print out of the completed passport biodata application form (5 pages)
b) Form titled 'passport application appointment form' (2 pages).
c) 2 passport photos with ears on display (no earrings, glasses or accessories) and taken on a plain white background
d) A letter from your recommender confirming you are known to them
e) A copy of your recommender's National ID
f) Print out of proof of payments for the fee for the ordinary passport and the London courier fees (as well as lost passport fee if this applies
g) Your current passport
h) A copy of your Ugandan National ID if you have one.
Additional requirements for a lost passport:
• Sworn Affidavit
• Police letter
• 100,000 Shs payment for fine
• Copy of lost Ugandan passport or Ugandan National ID.
Additional requirements for the renewal of a minor (under 18) passport:
• Birth certificate
• Parents Ugandan National ID's/Passports
• A copy of the parents’ Ugandan passports (bio data page and page 45)
• Letter of consent from the parents
All applicants are required to visit the Mission with their documents already printed out and in order. When you visit the Mission you must ensure you are wearing a mask at all times.
Passport Renewal FAQ's
When can i submit my passport application?
Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10.30am - 1.00pm.
Am i really required to appear in person to submit my passport application?
Yes. See 2.2.6 here
Am i required to have a National ID to apply for the e-passport?
Who can be a recommender?
A person with a Ugandan Passport or National ID who can attest to your identity.
How will i know when my passport is ready for collection?
We either call you or send an e-mail. There is no need to call our offices.
Can i have my passport returned to me by post?
Applicants who wish for their passport to be returned to them by post are required to provide a self, stamped addressed special delivery envelope.
I am having trouble making payment online, can you advise?
Applicants are advised to either try another browser, attempt payment the following day or restart the application. Furthermore, if you are having trouble making payment online, someone can make payment on your behalf at most banks in Uganda using the PRN numbers generated by your passport application (Bank of Africa, Bank of Baroda, Bank of Uganda, Barclays Bank, Commercial Bank of Africa Uganda Limited, Cairo International Bank, Centenary Bank, Citibank, DFCU Bank, Diamond Trust Bank, Eco Bank, Equity Bank Uganda Limited, Exim Bank Uganda Limited, Finance Trust Bank Limited, Gtbank, Housing Finance Bank, KCB Bank Uganda, NC Bank Uganda Limited, Orient Bank, Post Bank Uganda Limited, Pride Microfinance Uganda Ltd, STANBIC, Standard Chartered, Tropical Bank Ltd and United Bank for Africa) - they will then provide you with proof of payment. Payment cannot be made at Uganda High Commission. You must ensure you pay both the passport fee AND courier fee (and the lost passport fee where necessary).
Payment is made in Uganda shillings, is this correct?
Yes, all payments made online are in Uganda shillings and are paid to a Ugandan bank - e.g - Stanbic. You can pay using your UK Debit/Credit card in the same way you would pay for any other online item.
Can you print my forms?
No, please visit the Mission with all your printed forms in order. There are no printing facilities here.
I hear i need to have the new E-passport by January 2021?
No. Please see the statement here.
I'm a first time applicant, can i apply for a Passport at the Mission?
Unfortunately not. The Mission only handles renewals.
My passport is not ready yet and it's been two weeks?
E-Passport renewals are currently processed from Uganda therefore take longer than the prior turnaround time of two weeks. Applicants are advised to submit passport renewals well in advance of when they need their passport. Applicants are e-mailed when their passport is ready for collection.
Do I still need to make an appointment with you if I had an appointment booked through the website www.passports.go.ug ?
YES - see here
Why do I need to pay the 10, 000 Uganda Shilling courier fee?
The payment for courier fees is mandatory. Passports are printed in Kampala. This payment covers the cost of your application to be couriered to Kampala for processing and the return of your passport from the Kampala Passport Office to London. It does NOT cover postage costs between the Mission and your home address.
CERTIFICATE OF IDENTITY REQUIREMENTS
1. Fully completed Form G.
2. Two (2) identical passport size photographs (taken within the past 6 months, coloured, strictly on a plain white background, full front face view and a neutral facial expression with both eyes open and both ears visible).
3. Present expired passport/copy of expired passport/Ugandan National ID
4. If passport is lost, a Sworn Affidavit notarized by a solicitor, dated within six months.
Payments for the Certificate of Identity can be made through:
• Visiting: www.ura.go.ug
• Selecting: eServices
• Selecting: Payment Registration
• Selecting: Other NTR
• Entering: Applicant details under 'taxpayer details' - fields marked red are mandatory
• Selecting: The 'Ministry/Department/Agency' - 'Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control (National Citizenship and Immigration Control)'.
• Selecting: a) Certificate of Identity: Under 'taxhead name' select 'Certificate of Identity'
• Selecting: 'online payment options' under 'payment methods'
• Entering: Text from the given image
• Selecting: 'Accepting and Register'
• Selecting: 'ok' at the pop up window from ura.
• Selecting: The bank with which you wish to make payment under 'online payment summary'
• Noting: Your PRN under 'online payment summary'
• Applicants must print off and attach proof of payment to their passport application. PAYMENT CANNOT BE MADE AT UGANDA HIGH COMMISSION.
6. Cover letter requesting for Certificate of Identity, addressed to 'The Permanent Representative, Geneva'
7. Attach a copy of your air ticket with departure date within seven days.